[Evolution] Calendars / Appointments

First of all, thanks to everyone who has worked hard to make Evolution.
I use it as my primary client now, and have very few problems.

Now, I have a question...  How does calendar event support work in
Evolution?

I ask because I need to be able to make an event (like a meeting) and
have an email sent to a (portable device) whether *my* machine is on or
off...  Is there a daemon that manages event notices that could simply
be run on a server, or are the events handled locally?

Thanks.
Aaron