[Evolution] serious problem

Ive downloaded the latest pre-build snapshot of evolution (30th Jan)
using helix-update, and I can't even read the introductory greeting
email that Evolution starts up with (Welcome to Evolution! message). The
preview release 8 did the same for me as well.

When I click the message header, it says 'Retrieving message 1' for a
while, and then pops a dialog saying "Failed to get lock using fcntl(2):
No locks available". What gives? I have tried deleting my ~/evolution
folder (as I do before every new version), and it makes no difference.

Im running Redhat 7.0 with 2.4.0 kernel.

Jeff