Re: [Evolution] Openmail?

I know this is early to be asking about this, but Samsung has bought the
rights to use, maintain, and enhance Openmail. Is it foreseeable that
Ximian might plan to build an Openmail connector?

Then someone else jumps in and asks about GroupWise? Any other
proprietary interfaces?

Obviously we're only going to write additional proprietary connectors if
there's enough market for them that we'd make "lots of money" selling
them. (I have no idea what the threshold on "lots of money" would be,
but note that it does have to be "lots", because if we were only going
to make "a little bit of money", it would presumably make more sense to
have the hackers work on something more profitable instead.) Oh, or if
some company paid us "lots of money" to write such a connector, we
might, even if no one else wanted it, I guess.

And we're not interested in adding support for proprietary protocols to
Evolution itself (the free, core product); we'd rather perfect the
support for open protocols.

I don't know a whole lot about proprietary groupware server market share
beyond the fact that Microsoft and Lotus have almost all of it. So, at
the present time, Openmail and GroupWise connectors don't look likely.
Unless you happen to have $1M lying around. :-) OTOH, if Samsung goes
all out on Openmail and it becomes the next big thing, then maybe it
could happen.

-- Dan