Re: [Evolution] Evolution over the network

Pascal,

On 20 Aug 2001 04:36:07 -0700, Pascal DeMilly wrote:
Thanks for your response Ricardo,

no problem.  i only wish i could be of more help.

I sure don't understand why it is not working for me. I can run all
sorts of apps over ssh with X11 forwarding but evolution and nautilus.

the only thing I can suggest that you look at is what Thomas Baker
wrote:

-----
  Subject: Re: [Evolution] Evolution over the network
  From: "Thomas J. Baker" <tjb unh edu>
  To: Pascal DeMilly <list evolution newgenesys com>
  Cc: Ricardo Amadeo Contreras <aztlan2k yahoo com>,
      evolution ximian com

  Is there a firewall between you and the server? I was having the same
  problems running evolution over the net through an ssh tunnel because
  some part of gnome/evolution makes an initial connection to port 16001
  which was blocked by my firewall. After I allowed that connection
  through my firewall, evo started working fine over ssh.

  If you get a error about an the evo shell, do an oaf-slay and then
  rerun evo.

  tjb
----

Have you tried this?

Also, have you tried the experiment with my original suggestion...?
Were you able to run evolution via a standard telnet (or rlogin) session
instead of through ssh?  If it worked, this would verify if it was a
problem particular to your ssh setup and not a general evolution
problem.  (i think?)  Like I had stated before, I have been using
evolution to display remotely on a number of occasions and haven't had a
problem.  This, of course, was over a standard telent session.

So I did some tests and here is what I found:

If I start evolution on the server, everything is fine.
If I then close evolution and start evolution from my ssh session
expecting to have evolution display on my client, I get the "Cannot
access Bonobo/Config Database on wombat" message.

If subsequently I killev on the server, and start evolution from my ssh
session I get an evolution window but also a bunch of warning messages.

Of what I understand and you can correct me if I am wrong, evolution
starts a bunch of processes representing different services. Each of
these services register with the evolution process and use corba to
communicate.

you are correct on this point and from the output you sent, it appears
that the registration/activation of those services is what is failing.
this may be the the problem Thomas was tlaking about.

Maybe you should start another thread with the subject: "Evolution over
SSH? any experiences?" and see if you can find other who are using it in
the same way you are?

good luck,

Ricardo