Re: [Evolution] migrating from PINE

On 17 Aug 2001 12:06:49 -0700, dpeterso ne orst edu wrote:
> 1) Is there any way to incorporate/import PINE's .addressbook?  I really
> don't want to go through the hassle of entering some 100 new contacts by hand.
Try File-->Import File... does that work?
> 2) Is there a compose functionality akin to PINE's lists?  That is, can I
> have a single recipient (Contact in Evo-speak?) represent a dozen email
> addresses?
That'd be mail to an "addressbook group"-- so, yes, that's in there.  For an address card, decide which groups it's in, then when you send mail to the group ("Friends") it'll go to all contacts with that group flag.

> 3) Can I get Evo to:
> 	a) read my existing pine saved mail folders
> 	b) write to those existing folders

Yes.  This is in the FAQ... under Tools-->Mail Settings, select or create an account and set the mail server to be
UNIX mbox files, then enter the path to your pine mbox.  PINE checks your mail, and Evolution can read and write it.
> Now, an annoying (I think bug, but am not sure) behavior is that anytime I
> operate on any Evolution folder (or about every 2 minutes when the program
> checks for new mail) I get an error popup: "Error while synchronizing
> folder: /home/donald/evolution/path/to/some/mailfolder//mbox:  Too many
> open files."  As best as I can tell, this does not affect the operation of
> Evolution, but none-the-less still appears on a regular basis.
Not sure about this one, but it sounds like a bug to me!  Is there a bug filed on
this in bugzilla.ximian.com?
> I really look forward to the import of GnomeCal calendar information as
> well.
Me too. It's coming.
> (Almost finally), an honest effort should be made to include documentation
> with the rpms.  This program is really difficult to figure out without
> documentation.  (Well, maybe if one has come from an Outlook background,
> it's not so bad?  I wouldn't know.)  Coming from a command-line
> background of VMS and UNIX, with standard mail and PINE, it's not
> straight-forward, and the biggest hurdle I had was figuring out the menu
> structure and how things work.  I still don't have a good understanding of
> how filtering works under Evo..
We've been working on it.  Believe me, I have learned more about makefiles than I ever wanted to know.
A) they should be in the nightly builds now, and B) if they're not, go to http://primates.ximian.com/~aaron/evolution-guide/index.html, and let me know what you think of them.

> Finally, should I try entering these behavior as bugs or
> wishes on bugzilla?  How?
Go to bugzilla.ximian.com, and search to see if they're already entered.  If they're not, go ahead and file them-- the page has some decent instructions on it, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Yours Sincerely,
Aaron Weber
Technical Writer
Ximian, inc.
--
"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet,
consectetur, adipisci velit . . ."  Cicero