Re: [Evolution] Stalled evolution-mail process

On 10 Aug 2001 23:03:21 +1000, David Luyer wrote:
On 10 Aug 2001 14:40:32 +0200, Frederic Crozat wrote:
Hi,

since Evolution 0.11 (and even with 0.12), I get a lot of freeze in
Evolution, when accessing Inbox or downloading new messages..

I'm running Evolution without file locking (--enable-file-locking=no)
and my evolution directory is on an NFS directory (NFS v3 server and
client)..

Result of lock is one evolution-mail process in 'D' state, without any
way to kill it (kill -9 doesn't work) and I have to reboot my computer
:((

A 'D' state could quite easily be the kernel's fault.  Does 'dmesg' have
anything interesting in it?

Nothing :(((

I've also discovered there is a lot of .nfs* files in
~/evolution/local/Inbox directory so I'm wondering if there is some lock
which are not removed correctly..

.nfs* files.  Fun.

The story behind .nfs* files... when you unlink a file in Unix, it is
still accessible as long as something holds it open.  So when you
unlink a file (either via NFS or locally), but something via NFS is
holding it open, the file is really renamed to some .nfs* name.  When
the last NFS client holding the file open closes it, it can be deleted.
But if the state is somehow lost then the file deletion may be
forgotten.

Remember the NFS server may reboot while another machine holds the
file open.  If it wasn't for this silly renaming trick, on rebooting
the NFS server would have wiped the file as no active processes known
to it were holding it open (inode link count is zero but not marked
deleted, or however that error is reported these days).

NFS is evil.  The only way Sun convinced the world it was sane was by
having RFS to make NFS look good.

Again, .nfs* files are nothing to do with Evolution either.

Well, I'm not so sure, since after each "Receive new messages", a new
.nfs file appears (probably generated by deleting movemail files) and
appears as used (deleted) by evolution-mail (seen in lsof).. And I'm the
only one accessing this file.. I'm wondering if there is several threads
trying to access the same file..

--
Frédéric Crozat
MandrakeSoft