Re: [Evolution] Evo suddenly VERY slow

On 24 Apr 2001 15:54:48 +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:

Le 2001.04.24 14:32:41 +0200, Rupert Heesom a écrit :
On 24 Apr 2001 07:48:24 +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:

Le 2001.04.24 04:00:42 +0200, Rupert Heesom a écrit :
I had this problem too, and it appeared I had to killev, killall oafd
(as
root) and rm -Rf /tmp/orbit-*, then Evo started to be snappier (well,
as
snappy as it can, which is really slow compared as e.g. Balsa. But
Balsa is
a lot simpler)

Thanks, I've just tried as far as killing oafd, and Evo is back to it's
former self.   I decided not to remove the /tmp folders.   BTW, what
does killev do?  There's no man page for it, or help screen.

killev kills all components of Evo. when you quit Evo, not all components
quit, some stay in memory (e.g. wombat)

I assume the /tmp/* directories are swap files (even though there is a
swap partition).   Is it a good idea to remove these every now & again?

Well, I do it often (at each orbit/oaf/bonobo upgrade). I don't know what
these files really are, probably just some registration points. Maybe
someone can sched some light ?

Well I never have to do it.  How odd, but i upgrade via cvs source.

They are unix domain sockets used by ORBit for CORBA IIOP channels.