[Evolution] Potato: Evolution can't lock mailfile?

Hi!

I've for the first time managed to setup a mail solution that satisfies
me, so I'm no expert wrt mail. I use Debian 2.2/Potato. Mail is sent
with exim and retrieved from ISP with fetchmail, then locally delivered
with exim. MUA is evolution, naturally :)

On Potato, mailspool is in /var/mail. This are the permissions:

drwxrwsr-x     root.mail     /var/mail
-rw-rw----   user1.mail   /var/mail/user1

I've told evolution that "mailsource is UNIX mbox format mailfiles" and
the path to /var/mail/user1.
Now, when there is no mail, evolution just tells me that. However, if
there is mail,
evolution tries to retrieve it from the spooldir and pops up a window:

"Error while 'Fetching mail from mbox: /var/mail/user1'
Could not create lockfile for /var/mail/user1: Permission denied"

Ok, so I tried to set /var/mail to rwxrwsrwx (chmod o+w /var/mail). Then
it works. However, it doesn't seem really secure ;) I'm also reluctant
to add user1 to group mail. Doesn't seem right either.

Am I doing something wrong? Any help very much appreciated

Thanks and Greetings

--
Knuckles, who did not vote for the Austrian government

Linux: The choice of a GNU generation. Visit http://www.gnu.org/