Re: [Evolution] wish-list (again)

Michael Wood wrote:

[snip]

SMTP (qmail or sendmail)
LDAP (openldap)
IMAP (courier-imap or uw-imap)
POP (qmail-pop or other)
Web access to mail, calendar and more (horde with imp or other)
One interface for configuring and setting everything up.
One interface for administrating users. (this is supposed to be used by
non-technical staff)
Something for the calendar stuff (LDAP?)

What's wrong with just writing a program to install the separate
RPMs based on what the user wants and then another program to
configure all the services?

Well, you could do it that way. However, the point is that you want to
deliver a complete product.

It should be possible for some company to sell support on this product,
as well as deliver it on a CD or something like that - together with a
manual.

It should be easy to install and easy to setup, but still be flexible
enough to let people tweak it and modify it to support their own needs.

Since the usual way of installing a product is though the different
package managers, I think that it is a good idea to do it that way. But
perhaps other ways are better.

I guess I'm just attracted to the idea of having a complete product,
from within you select what type of services that you want to provide to
your customers/employees/whatever. Turn a service on and it activates,
not downloads and installs.

Erik

 www.karlberg.org || +46 7 0927 3212