Re: [Evolution] wish-list (again)

Hi

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 01:30:30PM +0200, Erik Karlberg wrote:
Michael Wood wrote:

[snip]
Initially I thought there was going to be an Evolution server,
then I found out there wasn't.  But what would an Evolution
server do that isn't handled by an IMAP/POP server, an SMTP
server, an LDAP server and a calendar server?

i.e. isn't an "Evolution server" just a combination of the
above?

Yes, almost.

However I think that many people would appreciate a whole package,
distributed as rpm's, deb's or pkg's, that contained all this.

The package should contain at least the following:

SMTP (qmail or sendmail)
LDAP (openldap)
IMAP (courier-imap or uw-imap)
POP (qmail-pop or other)
Web access to mail, calendar and more (horde with imp or other)
One interface for configuring and setting everything up.
One interface for administrating users. (this is supposed to be used by
non-technical staff)
Something for the calendar stuff (LDAP?)

What's wrong with just writing a program to install the separate
RPMs based on what the user wants and then another program to
configure all the services?

--
Michael Wood        | Tel: +27 21 762 0276 | http://www.kingsley.co.za/
wood kingsley co za | Fax: +27 21 761 9930 | Kingsley Technologies