Re: [Evolution] Filing system

Hi

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 09:50:16AM -0700, Ray Lee wrote:
I'll let others do the flaming, but well, an indexed flat
file isn't really any performance problem at all
[snip]
(and you can even repair it with vi!).

I have to point out that this fails the "Simple enough for my
mother to use" litmus test. It should never get to a state
where it needs to be repaired in the first place. What's odd
is that I've heard this argument from several different people
now. Have you really needed to hand-edit your mbox to fix it?

Well, I have needed to edit mboxes before.  Netscape mail
(version 2? or 3?) had a buffer overflow which was triggered by
long subjects, causing it to crash.  Also, MS Outlook (97?  I
don't know about other versions) choked on messages with strange
headers.  (I think it was something like: "Reply-To: <>")

OK, so that was an mbox on the POP server, not the "Inbox" on
the client, but it's still useful to be able to fix things
sometimes.  I do think a Maildir might be better than an mbox,
but maybe I just don't know enough ;)

--
Michael Wood        | Tel: +27 21 762 0276 | http://www.kingsley.co.za/
wood kingsley co za | Fax: +27 21 761 9930 | Kingsley Technologies