Re: [Evolution] "Why I hate Outlook"

"Fletcher, Chuck" wrote:

It would also be great if evolution had a sister project to develop a
competitive server architecture to exchange. That way people would start
using evolution and eventually could switch the comany to the linux based
server. I know there is HP's openmail, but its not OpenSource.

I would prefer to use Evolution with my mail, profile, address book,
calendar etc. stored server-side (for backup and remote use reasons).
Other users appear to like all these things held locally on their
workstation (for performance reasons). The design appears to cater for
both audiences, but currently the implemented code appears to be more
biased towards the latter.

As I understand it, Evolution interfaces to various disparate
server-side services. These services need not all be implemented by the
same package. Using a collection of open source server programs, you
should be able to build the beginnings of an alternative to an Exchange
server.

For example, I currently use an IMAP server (currently UW, but prefer
Cyrus) and an LDAP server (openldap) to provide the kind of services I
would expect Exchange Server to provide in our organisation. Despite the
time it takes to learn about these protocols and how to setup and
administer these servers, I have a satisfactory setup in my sights
(maybe I should write a HOWTO). Perhaps if there was
co-ordination/integration between the members and products of these
other projects, they could bear some very luscious fruit for Evolution
users and administrators.

I've so far been deprived a glimpse at Exchange Server, and am not one
to spend any significant time on Microsoft's web site (drives me
doolally), so I don't know what it's got that I haven't catered for with
my solution. But whatever it is, I'm perfectly happy and prepared to
find/patch/write an open source alternative.

However, despite the effort involved, writing a single server-side
application, designed and written to complement Evolution, that covers
all the functionality provided above, would be the Perfect solution, and
would make an excellent bullet point for GNOME-based Linux distros. Any
takers?

--
Ross

...all Microsoft products were taken off my network, life was
sweet...and then I woke up.