RE: [HC Evolution] Re: libole2 -> gnomevfs backend?

: I know that there is some beauty into storing all the file contents
: into a single structured-storage file for Evolution.  But the
: alternatives are not robust, ready, pretty and definetly not close to
: deployable.

I'm a fan of a single file for lots of reasons, but this is quite true. A
single file message store seems overkill for 1.0, as it isn't core
functionality. However, I respectfully request that it be considered for
something after 1.0. If people are really interested in why I think it's
useful, write me and I'll send you a long message off-list. (I wrote it,
and decided to sit on it as it doesn't look like a productive conversation
for getting 1.0 out the door.)

Storing the messages as files in a directory has only one showstopper for
me, which is that I've got folders with 30,000+ messages in them. ext2
chokes on directories this large. This isn't Evolution's fault, of course,
but if the messages could be hashed into a bunch of subdirectories rather
than just one directory per folder (or however it's looking to be for
1.0), my life would be grand.

<pause> Or is Evolution using mbox-style files? (He types, with a cold,
sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach...)

Ray Lee
rblee impulse net / ray madrabbit org