Re: [HC Evolution] Re: libole2 -> gnomevfs backend?

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 10:38:04AM -0800, Jeremiah Cornelius wrote:
A single-file is terrible when it becomes corrupted!

Unless it's well-designed and it's possible to rebuild it when it gets
corrupted. In the end a file could be a file-system just like ext2. It
would be specialized and better though.

The only thing I can think of that can happen to a file but not a directory
is the entry in the partition table that could get corrupted. But couldn't
that happen with a directory too? I've never lost one single file due to
ext2 failing on me.

Real, everyday-users use systems like Notes and Exchange as indexed file
repositories, and maintain sensitive and/or critical materials here.  (Draw
your own conclusions about what this indicates in regard to the
state-of-the-art in file system access!)

erm, you're calling Exchange 'state-of-the-art'? :)

I have seen _many_ documents lost forever, becase a .pst file was corrupted,
and the Mailbox "Repair" tool returns less than .1 of the original contents.

Which indicates to me that .pst files are badly designed.

--
Sarel Botha

99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code,
          fix one bug, compile it again...
          101 little bugs in the code....