Re: [HC Evolution] mbox locking

Dot-locking works everywhere you care about, so at best, fcntl will be
redundant, and at worst, it will cause a crash or deadlock.  Stay away.

I should have mentioned this before, but Pine does it both ways. Some
BSD programs do too.

Emacs's movemail is extra crappy.  The code is very hard to read,
because there's lots of legacy in there for systems that nobody has
used for a decade, and that you surely don't care about.

Yeah, I just figured if I didn't suggest using Emacs's then people
would say I was a bad free software hacker. :)

Netscape has an option to use the built-in movemail, or to use an
external movemail program (e.g., the emacs movemail.)  You should
do this; it's a good idea.

That's the plan.

I especially don't like #4 since in the process of investigating this
stuff, I discovered that my MH install was only using dot locking and
my sendmail was only using fcntl locking.

This is very surprising -- how did your sendmail end up that way?
Are you sure?  Are you really really sure?

I can't figure out whether it's an accident or not. Note that the
movemail.html URL you mentioned says that BSDI does only fcntl-locking
as well. Anyway, for 4.4BSD systems, sendmail delivers mail with
"/usr/libexec/mail.local -d $USER", and on NetBSD, mail.local defaults
to fcntl-only. (On FreeBSD, /usr/libexec/mail.local is actually the
sendmail mail.local rather than the 4.4BSD mail.local, and it does
both kinds of locking.)

-- Dan