Re: [HC Evolution] Calendar to-do list

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 13:29:01 EST, Dan Winship wrote:

Anyway - my thinking was that the PCS should be generic enough
to handle a
ny
types of months/days/years. Then for example we could have an
'Islamic Vie
w'
a 'Hebrew View' a 'Gregorian view' and even a 'Julian View'. Is
that
'feasible' (I haven't looked at the code)?

I think this is the Right Way.  since iCalendar supports gregorian
calendars, that's the sanest storage method for data, right?  and
then
implement a display-layer on top of that?

But this doesn't deal with the sliding Islamic calendar problem. ie,
you schedule something, the UI converts to Gregorian and sends it to
the PCS, and then an expected leap day fails to materialize,
resulting
in your Gregorian-dated appointment being off by a day.

As I said in an earlier message, this may be implementable in some
way as a funky kind of timezone.  We already need to differentiate
between "fixed" and "floating" events to handle multiple timezone
scheduling, so perhaps we can abstract that to handle the distinction
between "fixed" Islamic dates (today + N days) and "floating" ones
(1st day of Ramadan whenever that occurs).

If the PCS can be adapted to store the floating type of date, the UI
can do the conversion on the client side.  I think.  This is all very
sketchy in my mind, and luckily, is *very* low on my todo list.  (And
if *I* were to work on the multiple calendar problem, it would be to
implement the Hebrew calendar, which is algorithmically computable,
so this problem doesn't really exist.)

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal               Columbia Law School, Class of 2002
<rms39 columbia edu>            Columbia College, Class of 1999