Re: [Evolution] CHI'96 paper on mail usability and some thoughts

Miguel de Icaza wrote:

But to make this effective, two problems must be solved:

        1. The use of these features should not be a hidden feature,
           or an advanced setting.  It should be presented to the user
           visibly.

        2. Users should start using the feature the sooner the
           better.  How can we insinuate this to users?

An obscure to use feature is just like a feature that is not present
for most cases.

I find the "don't show me this message again" dialogs useful for
discovering new features.

Evolution could perhaps have a tip box that tells you about
related features. I know this is getting into paperclip
territory, but this is the best I can think of for helping users
discover features.

Another: After the user has accepted a helper tip, Evolution
could inform him of where the feature is located if he wants to
use it again. This way, if I tell Evolution to stop giving me
tips, I can at least easily relocate "that hot feature it
directed me to".

That includes being told where to go to turn on tips again when I
choose to turn them off.

--

Kiran Jonnalagadda
http://lunateks.com

baby.sh: while true; do echo "^G^G^G^G^G"; sed -e 's/food/poop/';
sync; sync; sleep 15; done