[Evolution] Movemail, why?

 Why movemail?

 Why the heck can't email apps read the sys mail in
/var/whatever/mail instead of moving it to their
folder?

 Netscape does this, evolution does this, others need
imap access to localhost for God's sake!

 This is ugly. If I am away, can't connect via X to my
machine or for any other reason, then I can't use
pine, elm or any other email tool to read system mail,
no instead I need to change folders and such to get to
that mail.

 Why? Why? Why?

=====
H. Auraghttp://www.geocities.com/h_auragh_aurag yahoo com