Re: [Evolution] Viewing attachment with an external viewer?

Should it be possible? And if it is, shouldn't it
be using the gnome document handler mime types?

Yes, and it does. Right-click on the attachment icon to get a menu.
(Not obvious, yes. Being fixed later.)

And if/when this is possible, I would still like to
have an "Open As" possibility?

Well, you can save to disk and then open it with whatever you want.
If we were going to have an "Open As" possibility, we'd need some sort
of application picker dialog...

-- Dan