Re: [evolution-kolab-devel] How to debug evolution-kolab

Hi Christoph,

Am Mittwoch 17 August 2011, um 10:01:09 schrieb Christoph Wickert:
> Hi,
>
> last Friday we had a Kolab workshop as part of the Desktop Summit in
> Berlin. Because it was the *Desktop* Summit I gave evolution-kolab a try.
> I hoped to have one or the other GNOME developer in the audience that
> might become interested in this project to help a little.
>
> For the demo I used Ubuntu 10.04 and with the recommended evolution 2.30
> packages. The server was Kolab 2.3.2, but this should not matter as nothing
> should have changed from the client's perspective.

We ourselves did not yet test evolution-kolab against Kolab 2.3.2, but our
sponsor did, and there seemed to be no issues related to 2.2.4 vs. 2.3.2 so
far. The testing against 2.3.2, however, was not much intense, so there might
be issues which we are not yet aware of.

> Unfortunately I couldn't
> get it to work, only email worked, but I could neither see contacts or the
> calendar. I haven't tried tasks or notes because having to set up
> everything individually was was quite painful.

The need to set up every folder individually is due to limitations in the 2.30
Evolution implementation. We could have hacked around these issues, but we do
not have the resources to do so. We can in no way compete with Kontact's user
experience when using Kolab so far, Kontact has some developer years more on
it's account than we have. :)

> Evolution had already became *very* unresponsive after adding Kolab
> resources for mail, contacts and and calendar.

In its present state, it is advisable to test evolution-kolab against a Kolab
account which does not have too many items stored (100..200 pim objects should
not be any problem, above 1000 we're already running into D-BUS timeouts).
Speedup work is underway, but not yet done.

> So I wonder if there is a way to properly debug why it didn't work or why
> evolution became so slow. Please let me know what info you want me to
> provide.

Debugging is possible by starting EDS (it consists of two factory processes,
one for contacts, one for calendar) in a terminal with some environment
variables set and checking the output. I'm about to create a wiki page for
that (will be cut-and-paste from developer emails mostly, in German,
translators welcome). I'll let you know once it is done.

> [...]

Kind regards,

	Christian

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48