Re: [Evolution-hackers] Refactoring contact editor

On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 07:54 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Tue, 2014-09-02 at 21:39 +0200, schaarsc wrote:
Are there any objections to do so?

        Hi,
definitely no objection, just the opposite, it'll be appreciated to do
"the cleanup". By the way, can the expander draw the arrow on the
right of its label? It seems to me like a better option, to have a
label and after that "an option" to expand or collapse it. But maybe
I'm just used to the custom code.

And most important ;-), is someone willing to commit such a patch?

Sure, please open a bug report and we can review the patch there.

While we're here, do you think it would be a good idea to
migrate away from the hard coded list of vcard labels/ids ?

If you're going to redo the UI anyway, it might be a good
idea to move towards something more flexible, with UI
functionalities such as:
  o Add a new email/phonenumber/address
    - When adding a new phone number, let the
      user enter their own label, a user may have
      one or more "HOME" phone numbers, etc
  o Delete an email/phonenumber/address
  o View all emails/phonenumbers/addresses regardless
    of whether they are in any hard coded list of labels

With the possibility of synchronizing your addressbook with
another addressbook (on your mobile or wherever), it would
be interesting to support the data which can be found in
a given vCard that may not have been created by evolution,
in which case it becomes important to read the whole vCard
for what it is.

However, I suppose there might be localization issues with
this, I suppose the hard coded fields that evolution lets
you edit have translatable labels in the UI, perhaps there
is some not-too-difficult way to allow both (to be honest,
it's possible that evolution at least lets you view all
of the emails/phonenumbers/addresses, I'm not sure, but
at least allowing that would be worthwhile).

Anyway, just a passing thought I had while seeing this
mail, for your consideration :)

Cheers,
    -Tristan

        Thanks and bye,