Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evolution Has Regressed Considerably

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Matthew Barnes <mbarnes redhat com> wrote:
On 10/27/2014 02:22 AM, Milan Crha wrote:
On Sat, 2014-10-25 at 06:09 +0100, Onyeibo Oku wrote:
The newest bizarre status is the "Unknown background operation".
What  is that?

Unknown is unknown, the operation didn't identify itself yet.
Backtrace matters here, but I'd guess this is related to server
address resolutions (it uses to be), thus also related to the above
bug.

I added the "Unknown background operation" as a hack to try and flush out tasks that were silently executing without a message being posted in the status bar.

I think the status bar messages shall be cleaned up, today it's more like a place for "logs" of individual actions. Maybe a separate log window can be provided if the user clicks on something like this. but the status bar shall be used only for real stuff that provides status, like "downloading 1 of 100 messages" and it shall update in place, not replace itself with a new message "downloading 2 of 100 messages". When things are downloaded  "it shall state "synced" for example, so that you know all messages are there in your inbox, etc. etc.

For example, when I open an IMAP folder for the first time with 20k messages inside, the status bar floods with too many messages but does not really give any info since there's no time to read them! they come and disappear immediately.

PS. Just a wish...

Br,
Emre