Re: [Evolution-hackers] About application for the GSoC

On Thu, 2014-03-06 at 17:13 -0500, Miao Yu wrote:
        1. I think I really need help to build the EDS. Sorry to
        bother. After I setup the "common" and "unstable" and run
        source unstable, I run
        ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX
        ./autogen.sh
        ./configure

        Hi,
usual automake-based procedure to compile something from a tarball is to
use:
   $ ./configure $CFGPARAMS && make && make install
while if you compile from git (in evolution-data-server case and many
other not-only-GNOME-related projects) you do:
   $ ./autogen.sh && ./configure $CFGPARAMS && make && make install
or alternatively
   $ ./autogen.sh $CFGPARAMS && make && make install
because autogen.sh passes the $CFGPARAMS into ./configure which it calls
for you.

I usually do the middle command, when compiling for the first time after
checkout or any other bigger change (like configure.ac/*.am files
change).

Your run order has this result:
   ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX
configure the compile with the $PREFIX prefix

   ./autogen.sh
throw away what the previous command did and configure with the default
prefix, which is /usr/local

   ./configure
reconfigure once again with the default prefix, which is /usr/local

Thus the first call to ./configure is not needed, and the last is
missing the prefix override.

checking for EXAMPLES... no
configure: error:
        Some packages were not available to build the example program(s).

        If you want to disable examples, please
        append --disable-examples to configure.

I'd say the error message is pretty self-explanatory, either you satisfy
the missing dependency (which are not named here unfortunately, but in
case of the examples they mean gtk3 from git), or pass
--disable-examples into your compiler, thus you re-run the configure
like this:

   $ ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --disable-examples

and you do it in the similar way for other dependencies you may get.

For example, my configure command line looks like this:

   eds: ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --prefix=$PREFIX
           --with-openldap=$PREFIX --with-krb5=/usr
           --enable-introspection=no --enable-file-locking=fcntl
           --enable-dot-locking=no --enable-nntp=yes --enable-smime=yes
           --enable-weather --enable-goa --disable-uoa --disable-gtk-doc
           --disable-examples

   evo: ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --prefix=$PREFIX
           --with-openldap=$PREFIX --with-krb5=/usr
           --enable-introspection=no --disable-scrollkeeper
           --with-kde-applnk-path=no --enable-nss=yes --enable-smime=yes
           --enable-plugins=all --disable-nm --disable-contact-maps
           --with-clutter=no --disable-contacts-map --enable-goa
           --without-help --enable-weather --disable-image-inline

Some of the options are obsolete, though. You can get list of configure
options with
   $ ./configure --help

        Hope it helps,
        Milan