Re: [Evolution-hackers] PIM server synchronization and Evolution online/offline state

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 17:17 +0200, Christian Hilberg wrote:
> Moreover, there's a GSoC project (see https://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2012/Ideas)
> for a backend cache infrastructure (the Ideas page still outlines
> a Contact cache - is this up-to-date?).
> Via
> 	KolabMailSideCache
> and
> 	KolabMailInfoDb,
> evolution-kolab already implements an offline cache for both, contacts
> and calendar types. Albeit being somewhat Kolab-centric at present,
> this is a working offline cache infrastructure already existing, which
> could be generalized and/or cannibalized for a new cache usable by all
> backends (including evolution-kolab). I'd be happy to use a generalized
> backend cache in evolution-kolab, rather than having each backend implement
> its own cache, provided evolution-kolab's needs (like being able to store
> binary blobs) are satisfied. Feel free to ask questions - I'm
> here to answer them as much as I can.

Unfortunately, there are no GSoC students working on that idea — none of
them showed any interest. :-(

Milan did some design work on an API for the cache, though I've
misplaced it at the moment. I don't know how this fits in with Kolab's
current cache API, but code reuse is always good.

I will hopefully have some time to work on this in a month or two, if
nobody else has done so by then. My time is really limited up until
mid-June though.

Philip