Re: [Evolution-hackers] Retiring evolution-exchange

Thanks & Regards,
Vibha

On Fri, 2012-06-01 at 06:57 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-06-01 at 15:19 +0530, Chenthill wrote:
> > Then why not retire evolution-mapi instead of evolution-exchange ?
>
> I hadn't considered that.  I'll defer to Milan to make that call.
>
> I thought evolution-mapi worked with Exchange 2003 servers at least in
> theory; I don't know how much actual testing that's had.  And I know
> Milan has been maintaining evo-mapi more actively than evo-exchange and
> has a good working relationship with the OpenChange developers.
>
> In any case, maintaining this many different backends for Exchange is
> ridiculous and we need to drop at least one of them given our manpower
> shortage.  I guess I don't care so much which, and am probably not the
> most qualified to choose.
+1

> What do you think, Milan?
>

> > I do understand that you looked at the code updates and available
> > developers to decide. It would also be good if we choose what to support
> > based on, what would work as a good enterprise solution. I say
> > enterprise since we are here talking about exchange and groupwise.
> >
> > W.r.t evolution-groupwise, it would be good to continue it until this
> > release. I second the reason which Akhil has mentioned in another email.
> > We would also need to give it sometime to see if there are people
> > interested in contributing there.
>
> The thing is, all of these modules are going to require significant work
> to adapt to the branch I'm about to merge -- groupwise perhaps even more
> than the rest -- and given that I don't even have access to a GroupWise
> server to test the changes I'll have to make to it, I'm highly resistant
> to bothering with it if it's not going to have a full-time maintainer
> going forward.
>
> If someone were to step forward as at least a short-term maintainer that
> could help test the changes, I would reconsider.
I can provide you the support. I will be getting into the new project
coming Monday. I can keep myself involved during free time after a
couple of weeks time..

- Chenthill.

I can also contribute in my free time as well for GroupWise. As exchange, EWS and GroupWise are good enterprise solutions for Evolution.