Re: [Evolution-hackers] Compile Evolution Mail as .so file with API for other GUI on ARM device

Hi,

Thank you for answer.

Yes. I'm looking for mail engine that will be able to communicate for instance over DBUS which some UI.
My device does not uses X.org, GTK and Cairo.
It future, I would also append my software with Calendar functionality.

I choosed to work with Evolution because I saw similar email client called Anjal that utilize Evolution but has own UI.

Could you tell me from which git should I clone
- http://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution-data-server
- http://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution

And could you tell where to start, or what should I read some to
- build mail engine library (http://mad-scientist.us/evolution.html - should I follow this process)
- API of DBUS

Michal

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 7:35 AM, Srinivasa Ragavan <sragavan gnome org> wrote:
Hi Michal,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Michal G. <guziemic spam gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been investigating a possibility of Evolution Mail cross-compilation
> for Linux X-less device (ARM) and use it as dynamic library that will
> provide me possibility to expose API that could be utilize by HMI layer.
>
> 1)    Is it possible to compile Evolution Mail without any user interface
> (pure –headless)? Or how much work would that require?
> 2)    Does Evolution architecture allows doing such split – mail supporting
> functionality and GUI?
> 3)    Is it possible to eliminate all unnecessary libs and resources?
> They’re using valuable device resources and may cause compilation problems.
> 4)    If I’m about hacking the build process to my needs (removing
> dependencies) where should I start?

IIUC you want to use the engine of evolution, but not the UI. If so,
I've been working on a mail daemon which has all the mail logic built
in and exposes mail (basic) interface over dbus. If you aren't
interested in that, you can look at libemail-engine.so which is a new
library that I added a week ago in master which provides most of what
you are looking at except the UI.

-Srini