Re: [Evolution-hackers] Is it worth customizing the IMAP headers to fetch?

On Sat, 2012-12-15 at 13:32 -0500, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> I'm debating whether or not to support the "imap-features" Evolution
> plugin in IMAPX or just throw out the plugin at the same time we throw
> out the legacy IMAP backend.  The plugin currently only works with the
> legacy IMAP backend.

Just to follow up, in the interest of decommissioning the legacy IMAP
backend in time for 3.8, I've decided not to support the "imap-features"
plugin in IMAPX.  The plugin will be removed along with the legacy IMAP
backend, and for the time being we'll continue downloading all headers.

Shortening the download time by minimizing the headers is a worthwhile
goal, but I think we first need to better utilize server-side searches.

I'm already working on server-side "BODY" searches for IMAPX, but I also
think we should utilize server-side "HEADER" searches.  Then the success
of a search/filter rule that specifies a particular header is decoupled
from the set of headers we choose to cache.  (This can be optimized in
various ways obviously, but the point is to not _depend_ on our cache
for correct results.  Let the server do the heavy lifting.)

Maybe we can do something along these lines for 3.10...

Matthew Barnes