[Evolution-hackers] Is it worth customizing the IMAP headers to fetch?

I'm debating whether or not to support the "imap-features" Evolution
plugin in IMAPX or just throw out the plugin at the same time we throw
out the legacy IMAP backend.  The plugin currently only works with the
legacy IMAP backend.

The "imap-features" plugin allows you to fine-tune the headers requested
in "UID FETCH" commands when downloading new message summaries, with the
idea that this will shorten the download time.

Currently IMAPX just fetches all headers using RFC822.HEADER.

Supporting the plugin would change this to use:

   BODY.PEEK ([HEADERS | predefined-header-list [custom-header-list])

depending on the plugin options selected (see attached screenshot).

I'm skeptical about the real benefit of this, but I lack expertise in
IMAP and particularly the IMAPX backend to make an informed judgment.

My intuition tells me the vast majority of users won't care or even
understand what these options do, and those that do tinker with them
probably won't notice any significant difference in download times.

Implementing this in IMAPX is no problem, in fact I almost have it done.
But I'm pausing now to question whether we SHOULD do this.

Opinions?

Matthew Barnes

PNG image