Re: [Evolution-hackers] Is it worth customizing the IMAP headers to fetch?

> My intuition tells me the vast majority of users won't care or even
> understand what these options do, and those that do tinker with them
> probably won't notice any significant difference in download times.
>
> Implementing this in IMAPX is no problem, in fact I almost have it done.
> But I'm pausing now to question whether we SHOULD do this.

I believe, we should.

I have not worked on Evolution in a long time. But when the initial version of the patch was made to get only few headers, the performance improvement was unbelievably high. See: http://psankar.blogspot.in/2006/05/imap-performance.html (please scroll in that page to the see the stats (blogger template change regressions))

Since we fetched only minimal headers (after the patch), some filters setup using some non-fetched headers were broken and as a result this plugin was made iirc.

So, my points are: a) We should fetch only minimal headers initially b) we should retain ability to fetch custom headers by being configurable c) We should tweak things to be in a more user-friendly way (as you mentioned in the last mail), instead of it being a plugin etc.

Thanks.

Sankar
http://psankar.blogspot.com