Re: [Evolution-hackers] Sqlite cache for address-book storage in EDS

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 14:15 +0100, Matthias Braun wrote:
> Am Montag, den 14.03.2011, 08:40 -0400 schrieb Adam Tauno Williams:
> > On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 18:57 +0530, Chenthill Palanisamy wrote:
> > > AFAIR, there are some UI issues involved here which should be dealt
> > > with separately.
> > True,  most importantly [at least for WebDAV address books] why the &@^
> > $*&@ it issues a PROPFIND to the server to enumerate the collection at
> > every search?!  Just search the data you have;  it really seems like
> > update / synchronizing the collection and searching the collection
> > should be independent events.
> > I suppose I should get around to filing a bug about that.
> The problem here is that obviously contacts on the server could have
> changed since the last search.

Yes.

>  How else can you detect this? Do the
> propfind results get an ETag, then this would be a good way to speed
> things up.

Please support ctags!

<propfind xmlns="DAV:" xmlns:CS="http://calendarserver.org/ns/";>
  <prop>
    <CS:getctag/>
  </prop>
</propfind>

The CalDAV backend currently [recently] supports this.  If the ctag
matches what was present before then all-stop.

Reporting e-tags is pretty fast, but even then etags on >10,000 objects
is quite a response.  And it can still be fairly expensive of the server
depending on what security descriptors it needs to process.

> Apart from that I could obviously add some timout, which would only
> query the server every N-minutes and do faster queries from cache
> only...

That would be awesome.

> Anyway I'd be happy to get more input from people on the server side

I am on the server side. :)
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/coils/>