Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evolution 2.28 obsolete?

Am Donnerstag, den 27.01.2011, 16:04 +0000 schrieb Matt Davey:
> I'm not sure this is the right list, as this is more of a policy
> question than a dev question.
>
> I recently logged a bug (#639970) that crops up every now and again for
> me, and it was closed as OBSOLETE because I raised it against Evolution
> 2.28.  This surprised me, because this 2.28 is the current shipping
> version for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Long Term Support).
>
> Now, you could argue that:
>   a) the gnome/evo team can't be blamed for Ubuntu shipping an obsolete
>      version,
>   b) the gnome/evo team simply doesn't have the resources to maintain
>      older versions, so it's reasonable to mark older trees unsupported
>      pretty quickly, and
>   c) Ubuntu should be responsible for fixing the problem, or upgrade to
>      v2.30 or whatever
>
> I think these are good arguments from the point of view of the
> developer, but it's not good news for the user, and it's hard for the
> average user to distinguish Ubuntu from Gnome in this situation.
>
> I'm not sure what the solution is, but if 2.28 cannot be maintained it
> would still have felt less frustrating and more reasonable if:
>   a) I'd been told whether the bug was a known bug and has been fixed in
> a more recent version of evo.  This would potentially give a route for
> downstream to port a bug fix, or to contribute a 2.28 patch.
>   b) If it's not a known bug, it might have made sense to recommend I
>
> I really like the "long term release" model for my work machine, and
> Evolution is critical.  It's not a great feeling to know that it's an
> obsolete version.
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> Matt

I'd suggest to you to build version 2.32 from git source on your ubuntu
LTS. See
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2010-November/msg00004.html and
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2010-November/msg00005.html.
If you are not familiar with building software from source, I or maybe a
few others on this list could assist you.

If you would like to continue to use version 2.28 as I do currently, you
may check out the patches I use at
http://www.t-mittelstaedt.de/evo-patches-2-28.tar.gz
and http://www.t-mittelstaedt.de/evo-eds-patches-2-28.tar.gz
for evolution and evolution-data-server, respectively. You need
a software called "stacked git", stg, to apply them. It is available
with ubuntu.

Hope, that helps,

--
thomas