Re: [Evolution-hackers] IMAP vs. IMAPX in Evo 2.30--recommendations?

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 15:22 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> Hi all.  I'm wondering if anyone can provide a summary/recommendation
> for IMAP vs. IMAP+ (IMAPX) in Evo 2.30 (I'm actually building the very
> latest gnome-2.30 branch from git)?
>
> I use a dovecot IMAP server which I don't think supports any of the
> advanced IMAP features (?),

Um, I'm using Dovecot to test the QRESYNC support (which I just
committed to master).

$ ssh twosheds /usr/sbin/dovecot --exec-mail imap
* PREAUTH [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID
ENABLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND
UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1
CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH
LIST-STATUS] Logged in as dwmw2

The only thing I want to use that it doesn't yet support is NOTIFY.

> but I see that the IMAPX implementation in
> Evo is constantly being fixed/updated (by David Woodhouse lately) while
> the IMAP backend seems stagnant (or stable?).
>
> Should I switch my accounts to use IMAPX instead of IMAP?

I think so.

> What about (does anyone know) connecting to Exchange servers using
> Exchange's IMAP?  Should I be using IMAPX there?

As long as you're using 2.30.2 or later, yes. There are some IMAPX fixes
in 2.30.2 which you wouldn't want to be without, including a workaround
for the fact that the crappy Exchange server lies to clients about
RFC822.SIZE, leading to truncated mails.

David Woodhouse intel com                              Intel Corporation