Re: [Evolution-hackers] evolution-kolab: hiding IMAP folders

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 12:20 +0200, Christian Hilberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> ...still continuing...
>
> Kolab makes use of "RFC5464 - The IMAP METADATA Extension" IMAP folder
> annotations to differentiate between the various folder types which are
> handled by Kolab. Remember, anything (Email and PIM data) is stored as Email
> messages with XML attachments in IMAP folders within the Kolab context. This
> means, we have IMAP folders for Email, Calendars, Contacts, TODOs, Tasks and
> the like.
>   Now, when creating a Kolab account, all of these folder types are generated
> on the server. There is at least one folder for each type, which is the
> default folder initially.
>   From within Evolution, *only* the IMAP folder which is annotated "Email"
> should be visible and all others should be hidden, as their respective
> contents will be managed by the backends, not Evolution. Otherwise, users will
> be able to meddle with PIM data folders, which might result in disastrous
> situations on the server side.
>   Is it possible to define certain IMAP folders as "hidden" from within our
> plugin's EPlugin part? Or is it possible to hide certain IMAP folders (and
> their subfolders) in any other sensible way?
This cannot be done in a fool-proof way for IMAP as it does not provide
information on the type of the folder. This can be done with an
assumption that calendar folder will be named as 'calendar' or contact
folders as 'contacts'.

The other thought I get is, the contacts+calendar folder names can be
collected as an option in account-setup and set as part of camel url
(prolly through a kolab plugin, hiding it from the user. you can check
how groupwise account set-up is implemented for an example) say
hide_folders="list of folders with a separator". If the parameter is
set, the folders can be hidden while fetching folder_info through
camel_store_get_folder_info (in imapx backend), which gives the folder
tree.

We could add another flag in CamelStore to over-ride the above option to
fetch all folders while fetching the folders from
contacts(EBookBackend)/calendar(ECalBackend) backends.

I can help you with making these changes in imapx backend/CamelStore and
inform you the changes which you would need to make in your
account-setup plugin. Sounds ok?

- Chenthill.