Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evo-Plugin Coding Style

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 13:16 +0200, Christian Hilberg wrote:
> I'll  propose this as our style guide then. Just like Ross in one posting (I
> think back in 2009), I'm interested specially in getting to know about indent
> style. patch.shtml talks about 8-space-tabs (and true tabs instead of blanks).
> Since there are other Gnome projects (like Gimp) which do not allow tabs - but
> use blanks for all indentation, for purposes e.g. of alignment of parameters
> in multi-lined function signatures - I wanted to be sure here that we follow
> the proper Evolution-path.

I would side with Gimp on any new projects I start -- I hate tabs, and I
especially hate mixing spaces and tabs.  So our coding style is far from
what I would personally prefer but we're stuck with it and I adhere to
it for the most part.

I use spaces to align function parameters -- one parameter per line.
But I doubt you'll find much consistency here.

Because of my Python background I also prefer short, simple statements
using as many local variables as necessary.  And I try to avoid complex
expressions or nested calls in function calls.  It's easier to read and
easier to debug.

Also avoid one-letter variable names, especially in for-loops.  They're
very difficult to grep for.  e.g. Use something like 'ii' instead of 'i'
for simple integer counters.

That's all the pet-peeves I can think of off the top of my head.  :)