Re: [Evolution-hackers] Cannot run evolution built using jhbuild

On Mi, 2009-01-07 at 22:20 +0100, Stefano Canepa wrote:
> 	I would like to write an e-plugin to run syncevolution

Excellent! Let me know when I can help with the SyncEvolution side of
things. As far as e-plugins go I don't know anything myself, so we'll
have to depend on the assistance of the Evolution hackers.

>  but as I'm new
> to evolution development I decide, may be I'm wrong, to start build from
> source using jhbuild thinking that this is the quickest way to satisfy
> the requirements. I just followed
> http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/build.shtml.
>
> 	The build process completed with big problems. When I'm running a
> Debian unstable with gnome 2.22. When I try to run the new evolution I
> get the errors pasted here: http://pastebin.com/m6d825bf5

I don't know jhbuild. I suspect that it builds more libraries and later
when you try to run evolution-cvs, the environment is not set up
correctly so those libraries are not found.

> 	So my question are:
> 1) is using jhbuild the correct way to get latest evolution and develop
> an e-plugin?

It is going to be useful to build Evolution from source without
optimization and with debug information, because then you can more
easily study how the plugin mechanism works (set breakpoints in a
debugger, go up the stack, analyze variables, etc.).

I suggest that you give the following Makefile a try before spending
more time with jhbuild:
http://mad-scientist.us/evolution.html

It builds just Evolution and generates an "evolution-env" script that
sets up the right environment for you. The makefile depends on recent
enough version of the libraries that Evolution depends on. You shouldn't
have a problem in Debian unstable.

I also used garnome on machines where those libraries had to be compiled
from source. It's more complicated than the makefile.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly