Re: [Evolution-hackers] Funambol sync from evolution

On Mi, 2009-01-07 at 22:27 +0100, Stefano Canepa wrote:
> On user request the plugin will run syncevolution,
> displaing an error message if there is no syncevolution on the system
> and the log and all messages of syncevolution if there are logs or
> messages.

It wouldn't be hard to create and install a libsyncevolution.so which
contains all the necessary logic to execute a sync. That might be easier
than wrapping a command line tool. On the other hand, Genesis already
does that quite successfully.

> 	I would like to try to develop it in python as I see that evolution is
> now capable of loading plugins written in this language, but it should
> be no problem in developing in C. Wich language do you suggest to use?

Genesis is written in Python, so you could take that as example for
writing a syncevolution command line wrapper. I also started with a
Python binding for the relevant SyncEvolution classes that a GUI would
have to interact with. This was an experiment to learn about
Boost.Python. It showed that this is so easy that finishing it should be
a matter of a day perhaps. Want to learn how it was done and perhaps
finish it? ;-)

Browse the source:
https://zeitsenke.de/websvn/listing.php?repname=SyncEvolution&path=%2Fbranches%2Fpython%2F&rev=0&sc=0
Check out:
http://zeitsenke.de/svn/SyncEvolution/branches/python/

If you prefer to work with git (easier for external contributors) then I
could also provide a git mirror of the SVN repository.

My suggestion regarding the language would be to check out how easy it
is to write Evolution plugins in C and Python. Pick the one that you
find easier. Python is a nice language. A downside might be that users
of older Evolution releases without that support won't be able to use
your plugin. When was Python support added?

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly