Re: [Evolution-hackers] stacktraces, debug: How to link evolution with debug version of glib, gtk on ubuntu karmic

Am Freitag, den 25.12.2009, 01:49 +0100 schrieb Tobias Mueller:
> Heya :)
>
> On 24.12.2009 20:43, Thomas Mittelstaedt wrote:
> > I try to get glib debug information for the glib libraries in backtraces
> > on ubuntu karmic. Even though I installed the debug packages, gdb does
> > not pick up the non-stripped library:
> >
> Sounds like a bug to me.
> How do you know it doesn't pick the debug symbols up though?
>
> > Do I have to build glib myself and install it in the
> > same prefix as evolution?
> Doesn't really matter where you install it, as long as the non-stripped
> binaries get pulled. Thus, you need to tell the linker to use the new
> library, i.e. with LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LD_PRELOAD.

Well, do you mean compile-time or run-time. I just tried runtime, i.e.
I did a
set env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/debug/lib:... in my .gdbinit.

Now, gdb tells me
>From        To          Syms Read   Shared Object Library
0x055c8040  0x05628d78   No          /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0

without the star which would indicate that no debugging symbols were
found. So, gdb found something, but when I did a bt, there were still
those question marks for libglib. Additionally the program segfaulted
shortly after.

--
thomas