Re: [Evolution-hackers] Anyone doing nightly builds for SUSE?

On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 15:17 -0600, John Lange wrote:
> I'd like to test some of the new features and bug fixes but in the
> past, when I've tried to use packages from openSUSE Factory, it also had
> dependencies on newer versions of the entire gnome stack which was a big
> headache.

Just a quick note about this:

Our dependency policy is that Evolution must always be buildable on the
latest stable GNOME release, which is currently 2.28.  If you're running
a GNOME 2.28 desktop then you should be fine.  The rationale there is to
avoid forcing users to upgrade to a bleeding edge desktop just to test a
bleeding edge Evolution.

On the other hand, any new technology in GNOME 2.28 is fair game for
Evolution 2.29.  The rationale there is to make it crystal clear to
developers what APIs they can and can't use, and to try to keep
Evolution from falling too far behind the technology curve.

I think it strikes a good balance, personally.

Matthew Barnes