Re: [Evolution-hackers] Anyone doing nightly builds for SUSE?

On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 17:00 -0500, Suman Manjunath wrote:
> > Barring that, what would be the best way to test the current unstable
> > release of Evolution? Should I just compile it from source and run it
> > from my home directory? Again, I fear the list of "dev" package
> > dependencies.
>
> AFAIK, you only have to install the -devel packages of all the deps.
> Shouldn't be harder than having to compile it :-)
> Also, the GNOME:Factory repo is updated with every unstable GNOME
> release. You may want to try that as well.

I just want to point out that it's not always that easy.  There are
major changes in some releases (such as 2.29) which require a lot more
effort.  For 2.29, you'll have to install new schemas, etc. for example.
Also, replacing basic versions of libraries like libgstreamer,
libgtkimageview, etc. on your system can prove problematic for other
applications that are expecting the older versions.

Evo 2.30 is shaping up to have many more fundamental differences than
most previous versions.

It's probably simpler to use prebuilt packages than rolling your own (I
have a makefile that will build these packages on your system and
install them into a separate location so they won't interfere with your
existing system.  However, today I discovered a problem where it's not
correctly configuring d-bus so that needs a little love before it's
ready for general use.

Also, it's currently targeted at Ubuntu/Debian, since that's what I use;
it could still be used with RPM-based distros but might require some
help.