Re: [Evolution-hackers] MAPI backend

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 19:47 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 20:22 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> > I don't have root access, therefore I compiled all the required
> > components (Samba, libmapi, EDS, Evolution) from source. I haven't tried
> > to run it yet.
>
> I'm on Exchange 2007 now. Setting up the MAPI backend worked, but I had
> to patch the source to get past a calendar authentication problem [1].
> Afterwards I could see some events, but not all. It seems that recurring
> meetings are not yet supported: these seem to be the ones that I'm
> missing and creating one anew leads to an unspecific error message.
>
> I need the MAPI backend primarily for calendars. As it is now I cannot
> use it (most of my meetings are recurring), so I'll have to depend on
> OWA for the time being.
>
> FWIW, I also had other problems (I don't plan to file bug reports for
> those because I assume that it's too early for that):
>       * the character set for emails were detected incorrectly, thus
>         displaying emails with English text with Chinese (?) characters
>       * After fixing the calendar authentication problem, LDAP started
>         to show signs of life on the console: for over an hour before I
>         left I saw log messages about LDAP contacts being downloaded
>         continuously. I considered killing it as it seemed to download
>         all contacts, but I decided to give it a chance - perhaps it'll
>         stop eventually by itself. In the GUI I haven't been able to get
>         any results so far (another important usage for me).
Patrick,

The current, MAPI branch, has the hacked up GAL implementation from the
evolution-exchange project, which uses ldap, but runs standalone in
e-d-s, unlike the other one. Ideally, we must be doing GAL based on
libmapi's nspi interface to browse/populate GAL. Then we would be able
to do faster lookup, better cache resync, delta fetc etc. But, its again
huge effort, so just waiting to get the current one out with the old GAL
and take this up later.

-Srini