Re: [Evolution-hackers] Where to put UI items for templates (Bug #127529)

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 16:59 -0600, Matthew Martin wrote:
> I'm working on templates for evolution. I need to know where to put all
> the UI items for templates. There would need to be a save template,
> default new mail, and default reply items. I read some of the HIG and
> stuck them in there so I could write the code. Here's a link to the
> patches. http://mtt.martin.googlepages.com/ The first one is for
> evolution, and the second is for evolution-data-server.

I looked at the patches attached in the above url. The patches are not
yet complete so I am not doing an in-line patch-analysis reply. Some of
my comments are :

- An account should be able to choose, what should be the default
template that it has to use and it should be noted that NONE should also
be an option here.

- You can add an option, "File->New from templates" which should list
the templates and the user should be able to choose a template and start
composing a mail. I will recommend getting a nod from Srini (CCed) for
any usability/UI aspects regarding this, before you start coding.

- You need to add a view-column, "Template name" that will be available
for the Templates folder (only).  All messages stored as templates
should have a name associated to identify the message-template. It is
far more usable to read, "Status Report", "Release Announcement Mail",
"String Announcement Mail", "ABI Break announcement ;-)" etc., rather
than opening every mail and seeing, "Is this what I want to send now ?"

- You need to close the composer once an user chooses "Save
Template" (as of now it is not doing and it keeps on creating new
templates) .

- Reopening a template and saving it again should not create a new
template.

- Your patch misses mail.error.xml changes as a result none of the user
choice-asking dialogs appear.

- All mail operations like copy/move/DnD on templates folder should be
disabled. (IMO, it is a lot more easier to implement a new tab under
Composer-preferences than a new templates folder)

- When there is a clash between account's default signature and the used
template's signature, the template's signature should be given more
priority.

- The code to save a template should ensure teh uniqueness in naming
etc.

- There must be a way to create a normal new mail when the user has set
a default-template. (May be a default Empty-mail template)