Re: [Evolution-hackers] Where to put UI items for templates (Bug #127529)

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 23:22 +0100, guenther wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 21:05 +0530, Sankar P wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 16:59 -0600, Matthew Martin wrote:
>
> > > I need to know where to put all
> > > the UI items for templates. There would need to be a save template,
> > > default new mail, and default reply items. I read some of the HIG and
> > > stuck them in there so I could write the code. Here's a link to the
> > > patches. http://mtt.martin.googlepages.com/ The first one is for
> > > evolution, and the second is for evolution-data-server.
> >
> > I had a look at the patch in the above url and some things that I found
> > on an first-look are:
> >
> > The Template should be singleton and each account may not have a
> > separate template folder. (Should be like Outbox)
>
> I'm not sure I agree here.
>
> Still pondering, but... We offer per account Drafts folders. And I don't
> yet see, why either one should be limited to a single, particular
> machine in a, say, IMAP environment. Sent is not. Drafts is not. Why
> should Templates be?
>
> Based on this approach, I believe it actually should be per account,
> being configurable exactly like the other "default" folders. Also, this
> UI part should go there.
>
> After all, Templates are Drafts that do not "delete them selves", right?

Whatever we store under Templates are not completely formed messages.
They will not have any sender/recipient that a basic mail will have.

Also it will contain things like ${DATE}, ${me},
Reference-to-a-SIGNATURE-FILE, which takes some special interpretation
that is specific to Evolution alone.

Overall, it is just Evolution that can make meaning out of a thing that
is stored as a template in Evolution. It may not be of any use to other
mail clients. So, I do not see any benefit by putting it in the server.

It is more like Signatures that are specific to Evolution and are stored
locally in Evolution.

What will be really useful will be to have Names for these templates and
we can associate a default template for an account (Again like
signatures). These names can be used to choose, from "New from Template"
dialog as well; Like OO templates-choosing dialog.

--
Sankar