Re: [Evolution-hackers] automated testing of Evolution data server with SyncEvolution

On Sun, 2006-10-15 at 22:57 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:

> I have not mentioned it on this list before, so before I come to the
> real reason for this email let me introduce it briefly: SyncEvolution[1]
> is a SyncML client that I wrote to synchronize address books, calendars
> and tasks list between Evolution and mobile devices or Evolution
> instances on different computers.

This might be interesting for tinymail too. Especially synchronising
E-mail to a local mbox or Maildir on a flashdisk and/or over GPRS,
Bluetooth or whatever in some efficient bandwidth saving way (as some
can become expensive per amount of MB, like GPRS).

An ActiveSync like system or maybe even integration with ActiveSync.
Whether or not you like Microsoft isn't the point for mobile devices,
the point however is that a lot vendors do implement and use their
crap.

Maybe we should exchange ideas and discuss how we can make the user
experience of both the developer and end-user even better sooner or
later?

My opinion is that we can make a great platform for mobile & embedded
appliances. We just have to do it. Your SyncML might imo. become a key
component in the chain of tools to be used for that.

For example: I could add an interface to tinymail that would enable an
external tool to tell a tinymail component that it should consider
reloading a folder. For example because SyncML (what tool really did it,
is something tinymail shouldn't really care about) updated the available
mails in a local folder.

It's this type of tight integration that makes the difference for a lot
people who will be the customers of vendors who make mobile devices.

A lot people have POP and want to use E-mail on multiple devices. Using
a tool like SyncML that could be a real possibility. I'm interested an
open to adapting the tinymail framework to allow a tool like SyncML to
do such funky stuff.

Please get in touch.

--
Philip Van Hoof, software developer