[Evolution-hackers] Sender photo in email display

Hello,
I have been working on a patch to add the sender photo when the sender
of the mail is included in the addressbook and (obviously) it has a
photo.

The code basically works, but requires some love before becoming a patch
that can make its way into Evolution.
Before going on with the code polish process I have some doubts that I
would like to discuss in the mailing list

1)The ui is affected by this patch. It is a trivial addition of a photo
close to where the rupert monkey appears. Does this addition needs to be
discussed and approved in some board? Is there any need of some control
to disable this feaure?

2) a significant portion of the code that retrieves the contact photo is
similar to the function "em_utils_in_addressbook()" in em-utils.c (that
includes also a fancy cache function). Is is a good thing to introduce a
more general "em_utils_addressbook_lookup()" that is used both by my
code and by a wrapper that mimics the original em_utils_in_addressbook()
function? How can I speed up an addressbook lookup? Which are the most
computationally expensive functions in the lookup? What benchmark can I
run?

3) In the EContactPhoto object the type is not reported. I assume that
all photos are JPEG, but this looks like a strong assumption. It there
any better guess I can do?

4) This is my first attempt in working on Evolution. Is it better to
just post the patch early even if the code is not very efficient or do I
need to improve performance/and functionalities on my own and then post
everything at the end?

--
Best regards,
   Riccardo