Re: [Evolution-hackers] Reorganize Evolution's preferences dialog

Hi Matthew

I think it is a pretty good idea :-). The two main reason are

- Width is controlled by the number of tabs in Mail Preferences
- Height is controlled by the General tab in Mail Preferences

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 14:12 -0500, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> I'm running Evolution 2.9.3 with a 1024x768 screen resolution and
> Evolution's Preferences dialog barely fits on my screen.  I had an idea
> on how we might shrink this down a bit by reorganizing some tabs.  I'm
> not proposing a complete overhaul of the preferences at this time, just
> some minor changes that I think can be accomplished before Evolution
> 2.10 ships.
>
> The General tab of the Mail Preferences section currently defines the
> size of the Preferences dialog, so the goal is to reduce the contents of
> this tab.
>
> My suggestions are:
>
> 1) There is both a "Calendar and Tasks" section and a "Mail Preferences"
>    section with a "Calendar and Tasks" tab.  Eliminate the tab in the
>    "Mail Preferences" section as follows:
>
>       a) Move the "Delete message after acting" option to the General
>          tab in the "Calendar and Tasks" section.
>       b) Move the conflicts options to a new "Conflicts" tab in the
>          "Calendar and Tasks" section.

I think if you add "Conflicts" tab to calendar prefs, the number of tabs
would increase and it may start controlling the width. For that we can
also remove the "Free/Busy" tab in "Calendar and Tasks" and add merge it
with calendar publishing by renaming the tab as "Publishing". Both these
tab mean free/busy and calendar publishing.

> 2) Add a new section called "Contacts" and make the "Autocompletion"
>    section a tab within the "Contacts" section.

This is pretty cool.

> 3) Move the "Automatic Contacts" tab in the "Mail Preferences" section
>    to the new "Contacts" section.  Maybe rename the tab to "General"?
>
> 4) With the number of tabs in the "Mail Preferences" section now
>    diminished, split the mail notification options in the "General" tab
>    to a new "Notification" tab.
Cool.

> Voil�shrinkage!
>
> Comments?  Other ideas?