Re: [Evolution-hackers] installing evolution-data-server fails on a FHS compliant system

On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 17:27 +0200, Christian Krause wrote:
> Hi Rodney,
>
> On 5/24/05, Rodney Dawes <dobey novell com> wrote:
> > >From the FHS:
> >
> > Applications may use a single subdirectory under /usr/lib. If an
> > application uses a subdirectory, all architecture-dependent data
> > exclusively used by the application must be placed within that
> > subdirectory.
> >
> > This means that to be FHS-compliant, you need to specify the
> > evolution-$BASE_VERSION subfolder to $libdir for the --libexecdir
> > argument to configure. This is what we do in SUSE for
> > evolution-data-server.
>
> Yes, you are correct. The best way to get eds FHS-compliant installed
> is to set the libexecdir to /usr/lib/evolution-data-server-1.2.
>
> But I do still vote to do some tweaks inside e-d-s to let it compile
> and install correctly even on a FHS-compliant system (where libexecdir
> is the same as libdir) without additional configure options. Here are
> my arguments:

I wonder why they did that, its kind of stupid really.  Libs should only
contain, well, libraries.

Unless the servers are supposed to go somewhere else, like sbin.

> - nearly all distributions are FHS compliant right now
> - many distributions have to do some extra stuff (e.g. setting
> libexecdir, apply patches, ...) to let eds install correctly
> - some people who compiling e-d-s from scratch and have a
> FHS-compliant system will suffer from this bug (searching the problem
> why e-d-s is not running, thinking over a solution, ...)
>
> Because of this it would be really nice if eds could be compiled
> without any changes or additional options.

Why aren't we just using ${prefix}/lib/evolution-data-server/1.2/
anyway, like we do with evolution?