Re: [Evolution-hackers] imap

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 17:31 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 02:25 -0500, JP Rosevear wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 11:20 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, derr, something that would be a supported option in 2.2, and
> > > default perhaps in 2.4.
> >
> > Well, thats quite a bad breakdown in communication.
> I just didn't think anyone would be rash enough to take such a
> high-risk approach.  It didn't even enter my head.
> > > The feature set isn't even the same, apart from it, well, not working,
> > > i've been wondering for days why imap on my workstation refused to
> > > connect to wal-3.  And i'm pretty fucking pissed off that i've been
> > > committing patches to code that is no longer built.
> >
> > If there is a feature gap, I'd like to know (as would fejj and christine
> > I'm sure).  The main issue was the mailing list stuff, but fejj fixed
> Well there are already bugs being filed about it.  No support for
> "connection command" for example.
> > this, at least in the List-Id case (unfortunately by having to use more
> > than ENVELOPE in the request, I understand he talked to you and found no
> > other way).
> Hmm, not exactly.
>
> I said he would have to override the search functions, and look up the
> full headers to calculate the mlist stuff if it was asked for and not
> available, at the very least.  Although in other ways it doesn't help
> since the ui wont fully work properly until that data is available in
> memory (i.e. contextual stuff on mailing list).  It could probably be
> calculated asynchronously too, and propagated using folder_changed
> events.  Personally i'd just have it as an option, and just disable
> the mlist stuff entirely and have it fun fast, or make it run slower
> and have it work.  But that only works if it is an alternative
> provider, of course.

What I did was to add a folder property so that users could
enable/disable mlist caching on a per-folder basis (I looked into the
on-demand route by overloading the search evaluator but that didn't
solve the fact that the ui needed the info->mlist data in a few places
for the context menu stuff).

I don't think doing a server query on right-click would be appropriate
and so without any way to work around needing this info, I just made the
checkbox option instead.

> > As for it not working... its somewhat reasonable now in the 1.1.4.2 (and
> > CVS HEAD) release but still has some issues.
>
> > Fejj and I discussed re-enabling the old code as imap-old:// or
> > something earlier this week, thats still a possibility.  A code audit of
> > the old imap code to look for workarounds that imap4 should take and
> > build up a test case list would be good as well.
> Ok, well i'll leave you two to it then.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast