Re: [Evolution-hackers] Adding a new server type... How?

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 12:19 +0200, Jules Colding wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 23:53 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
> > > I have been looking at the various documentation in the source and on
> > > go-evolution.org, but I simply can not find the "How to add a new server
> > > type in 10 easy steps" document :-)
> >
> > There isn't one, and I doubt that 10 steps would cut it, easy or
> > otherwise ...
>
> I just stumbled upon this document "notes on how to write a connector":
>
> http://labs.panopticsearch.com/archives/labs.evolution_mail/2003/Oct/0143.html
>
> I would greatly appreciate if someone could comment on the validity of
> the content, which is two years old. Please?

I think it is quite out of date:

 - you dont want to/need to implement your own 'component', anymore, if
you can avoid it.  you only want to do that if you provide a service
which doesn't map cleanly to mail, addressbook, contacts, or tasks.
 - calendar/addressbook now uses shared library based extensibility -
although i think you can still use the corba-based interface mechanism
as well.
 - it has no knowledge of 'e-plugin' which is now the way the ui should
be extended.

(and to be honest, danw was a lisp coder who tried to write c, and it
just dont work).