Re: [Evolution-hackers] Out of tree plugins

> > > Am I missing something ?
> >
> > You are not, we are working towards this for 2.4 however.
> >

> And would you accept patches to install some of the plugin headers ?

Notzed would have to answer for sure, but in general yes we'd probably
take these.

Yes in general we would accept these.   Yes there are questions as to which api's should be considered 'public' and which should not.  I'm leaning toward the 'most things public' idea, although that will definitely have long-term versioning implications.  I hope the simple versioning system will at least provide some protection here.

Main things:
all the e-utils plugin related things should be installed
widgets/misc/e-error shoudl be installed (ideally it should probably be moved to e-util?)  or maybe all should be moved to libedataserver/libedataserverui going forward (?)

Mail stuff:
a lot of useful and pretty stable mail api's should become 'public', off the top of my head, at least:
  all the plugin related stuff (em-popup, em-menu, etc)
  mail-mt.h
  mail-ops.h
  em-utils.h
  em-composer-utils.h
  em-folder-*.h
  em-format-*.h

These may draw in many other headers throughout the whole source tree ... although hopefully not too many (forward declarations are used extensively already to avoid these interdependencies).

We'll definitely be looking into this soon anyway, but any patches to help speed up this process wont hurt.

Note you can also just 'build against an evolution source tree', too.