Re: [Evolution-hackers] Mail VPaned vs. HPaned

Not Zed wrote:
On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 22:57 -0400, Daniel Gryniewicz wrote:
On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 10:17 +0800, Not Zed wrote:

> No i said it was useless unless a better message-list is implemented.
>
> > I think NotZed hinted that he'd approve a global option for this, and I
> > sort of agreed to implement it. I'll get around to it eventually :)

Hmmm... I use hpaned, and it works fine. What do you think is required?
My only desire here would be for the message list to keep the currently
selected message centered on the pane, rather than 2-3 above the bottom.

Well it really needs a more flexible layout (i.e. copy outlook, again).� The layout already wastes scads of space horizontally, and if you have less room from a hpaned view it doesn't work.� Sure it works for wide-screen 1920x1440 displays, but although there are plenty of those, it might just confuse the coorporate desktop user where there aren't.
'it might just confuse the coorporate desktop user where there aren't'.

is this really a reason?

the screenshot posted some time before in this thread:
http://hp.cl.no/dist/evolution-mail-hpaned.png

is 1400x1050.
except the stupid put-the-mailing-list-name-in-the-subject-line-when-there-is-a-mail-header-exactly-for-this
problem with the evolution mailing lists, it seems pretty usable for me.

of course it could be made better, but if it works, why cannot it be implemented?
i am sure that if it would be there, a lot more improvement-ideas would come.

you're saying that this layout wastes a lot of space horizontally.

what about the horizontal layout?
at least on my computer, the whole bottom-right quarter of the screen is wasted/empty/white, because everyone is (correctly) using 80char line width.

what i am saying is that the horizontal layout is not better than the proposed vertical one. so why don't give it a chance?

gabor

p.s: sorry, if this gets sent as html-mail. this is my first reply-to-html-mail-from-mozilla-thunderbird, so i don't know what will happen ;)